Saturday, March 26, 2011

What's wrong with the Celtics?

So I was just looking at the traffic sources for my blog.... And shout out to the person who googled, "What's happening to my Celtics?" and ended up at my page. I, too, would like to know, and I'm sorry that you didn't get any kind of substantive answer after your visit here. But here's my latest theory as to what's plaguing the Celtics. Go with me here. Not to toot my own horn, but in school I was always the really smart kid who was bored because everything was too easy. It was my theory that I need not complete my homework in a timely manner, because I could fool around in class, not put any effort in outside of class, and still get a good grade on tests. That meant my report cards all came home saying stuff like, "Bright student... Further effort required." Or, "Smart child... Why doesn't she try?" Stuff like that. It drove my parents crazy. Unfortunately, I didn't really care. I'm a little bit embarrassed to say that this attitude stuck with me until midway through college. In fact, I'd say it got a little worse in college. I majored in sociology, so a lot of my classes were discussion heavy, and we talked a lot about people and the way they act. I was under the impression that I was smarter and more enlightened than the majority of people in my classes, so I would debate endlessly with them in class until I was blue in the face. I would leave class all worked up at the stuff people said in class... And then I wouldn't do the work. So they'd get a better grade than me, and I'd get mad because I knew I was smarter than them, but they still ended up with a higher grade. Pretty stupid of me.

This, my friends, is what is plaguing the Celtics. I thought I was smarter than everyone, and they think they're better than everyone. And it's actually true- they are better than the majority of other teams in the league. The problem is that it doesn't matter how much talent you have or how good you are if you don't apply yourself. That's why I got B's and even C's (barf), while more dedicated but maybe less intellectually gifted students (teeheehee) got better grades than me, and it's why teams like Charlotte can come in and beat the Celtics. I believe that they're under the impression that they can exert minimal effort and still win. It doesn't work like that. This isn't a new theory. It's what many people thought was going on last year- that they think there's a switch they can flip, to go from playing like doo doo to playing like champs. Except I think it's worse than last year. I think that there's some kind of emotional residue from the Perkins trade. I don't know if it's hostility towards management that he's gone, general sadness in the face of his absence... or even some kind of doubt that they're not as good as they were without him. Let's just hope that they figure it out and flip that switch to champion mode for good. No more back and forth.

And P.S.: I no longer believe I'm smarter than everyone else. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I got it :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Bookwork_Barbie. Love your blog. Dont know how I ended up here, of ya it was through Celtics Town blog roll but absolutely love your theory on what's plaguing the Celtics. I promise to be a regular!! Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for your comment! It made my Monday already and it's not even 8 am yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Ainge is a fuckin joke he had the best starting 5 in basketball and with shaq coming off the bench this was our year now look were losing to teams like the nets,bobcats,clippers,pacers and rockets the chemistry is gone and Troy Murphy I could have told u that was not gonna work out honestly before the trade Boston too me was the team to beat now there lookin like a very easy team to beat Kristic really Jeff Green I mean look at OKC James Harden has taken his spot with ease thanks Ainge you had to mess up a potential(most likely) proven championship caliber team good job

    ReplyDelete